Introduction To Bariatric Surgery – Classifications, Advantages, And More
Gastric bypass and other weight-loss procedures are collectively referred to as bariatric surgery. Bariatric surgery is performed when your diet has failed or when you are having major health issues because of your weight.
Additionally, the surgery lowers a stomach’s ability to support food. People with a BMI (Body Mass Index) of more than 35 are the best suitable for bariatric surgery. Continue reading to know more about bariatric surgery in India, its classifications, and advantages:
Gastric bypass, commonly known as Roux-en-Y, is a combined treatment that reduces stomach size and controls food absorption.
This technique requires slicing off the top of the stomach to create an egg-sized pouch. Additionally, the small intestine is severed, and its lower portion is attached to the stomach pouch by the surgeon
By skipping a section of the digestive tract, the body will likely absorb fewer calories, which could result in weight loss.
- Trustworthy and permanent weight loss
- Successful in treating diseases linked to obesity
- A methodical and standardized approach
Sleeve gastrectomy is a restrictive weight loss technique. Around 80% of the stomach is removed during the treatment, leaving only a banana-shaped portion that the doctor closes with staples.
Ghrelin, a hunger hormone that controls a person’s appetite and metabolism, is primarily produced by a portion of the removed stomach.
- Shorter surgery time and simple technical requirements
- It may be carried out in some individuals with high-risk medical conditions
- Can be carried out as the initial step for individuals who have extreme obesity
- It could serve as a transitional measure before gastric bypass or SADI-S operations
- Effective shedding of pounds and amelioration of obesity-related disorders
Adjustable gastric band
This procedure is adjustable, reversible, and minimally invasive. Inflatable silicon bands called adjustable gastric bands are attached by a surgeon to the top of the stomach.
According to the gap between the pouch and the rest of the stomach, one may feel full. Through the access port under the skin, medical professionals can inject fluid.
- Early after surgery, the lowest rate of problems
- The stomach and intestines are not divided
Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch
Duodenal switch, also known as biliopancreatic diversion with a duodenal switch, is a sophisticated procedure that results in greater weight loss than gastric bypass.
In order to produce a new stomach pouch, the upper portion of the small intestine and two-thirds of the stomach must be removed. Attached to the new stomach pouch is the last third of the small intestine. The surgeon rejoins the intestine by stitching the middle third back to the end.
- It gives the best outcomes for reducing obesity
- Modifies gut hormones to reduce hunger and increase feelings of fullness after eating
- Treating type 2 diabetes is the most efficient method.
Metabolic and bariatric operations have been one of the best treatments over the decades. Dr. Mohan Thomas and his team have performed many successful bariatric treatments over the decades. Their bariatric surgery cost in Mumbai is one of the most affordable treatments.