Healthy living is about living a healthy lifestyle. The work culture and change are the attitude towards lifestyle has made our mind and body is unhealthy. It is said that longer sitting hours are worse than smoking.
You are in your healthiest form when you eat a variety of healthy foods, be physically active and eat proper nutritional food. Here are a few healthy living tips to inculcate in your lifestyle.
1. Eat a variety of foods
To maintain good health, you need 40 different nutrients. Just eating your favourite food will not supply all the nutrients required for maintaining good health. It is about having a balanced diet.
- A high-fat lunch in the afternoon should be compensated by a low-fat dinner.
2. Plan your diet based on plenty of foods rich in carbohydrates-
About half of the diet in our foods come from foods rich in carbohydrates like bread, rice, pasta, and cereals. You must include one of these in your three meals of the day. Bread, pasta, and cereals increase your fibre intake.
3. Replace saturated with unsaturated fat-
Fats help in good health and proper functioning of the body. But too of anything or in excess is not good for our body. So, too much fat can affect your health negatively like giving you too much weight and cardiovascular disease. Here are some tips to have a balanced diet.
- We should limit the consumption of total saturated fats from the food of animal origin and avoid trans-fat completely,
- Eating fish for 2-3 times a week with a minimum one serving of fish oil will contribute to the right intake of saturated fat.
- While cooking we should boil, steam or bake rather than deep frying to remove the fatty part of meat or vegetable oils.
4. Relish plenty of fruits and vegetables-
Fruits and vegetables are the most important foods for giving us vitamins, minerals and fibre at the same time. We should try and eat at least 5 servings a day e.g. Fresh fruit juice at breakfast, an apple for snacks and a piece of watermelon as snacks and a good portion of different vegetables at each meal.
5. Reduce salt and sugar intake-
A very high intake of sugar and salt could lead to high blood pressure and increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Few tips to reduce salt intake.
- While shopping we could choose products with low sodium.
- Cooking salt can be substituted with spices increasing the variety of flavours in your food reducing the salt intake.
- Do not have added salt in your food and stop keeping a salt bottle on the table.
5. Eat small portions of food regularly-
Eat a variety of food regularly in small portions is the right way to inculcate a healthy diet. Skipping meals like breakfast can lead to out of control hunger and you can end up overeating. Keep some snacks handy with you to avoid overeating. Snacks like dry fruits or fresh fruits can be carried with you anywhere to avoid overeating and kill small hunger. Foods like carrot sticks, nuts, and bread cheese can be a good snacking option.
Size is really important so that you don’t end up eating too many calories and will allow you to eat all the food you enjoy without eliminating any.
- Cooking the right amount can easily help you avoid overeating.
- Measure serving size like 100 grams of meat, one medium piece of fruit and half cup of raw pasta.
- Using smaller pallets with smaller servings.
- Check packaged foods before consuming them with calorie values on the pack.
- If you are planning to eat outside share a portion of food with your friend.
7. Drink lots of fluids
Adults need to drink at least 1.5 l of fluids in a day. And if you are staying in hot climates you must drink more fluids. Water is the best source of liquid intake. Fruit juices, tea, milk can be ok from time to time. But nothing can replace water.
8. Maintain a healthy body weight
The right weight for each of us depends on various factors like our gender, height age, and genes. Being affected by obesity increases a wide range of diseases like diabetes, heart diseases, and cancer.
Excess body fat comes from eating more than we need or no physical activity at all. Physical activity helps us spend energy and makes us feel good about ourselves. If you tend to gain weight, then you need to eat smaller portions and be more active.