Lemon is one of the most widely found citrus fruits in the world, that is recently gaining traction as a super food due to its myriad health benefits. Scientists have now confirmed the benefits of consuming lime water daily, that can have far ranging health ramifications, right from digestion to healthy skin. Lemon water is a beverage that is easy to prepare and is recommended by doctors to be consumed early morning on an empty stomach.
Lemons by themselves are loaded with Vitamins and essential minerals like Phosphorus, Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium etc which are essential for some of the vital functions of the human body. It’s also important to note the difference between lime and lemon, as both are passed of as each other by vegetable sellers to unsuspecting buyers. Although their nutritional content is almost the same, lemon has an advantage over lime in terms of the volume of juice it retains. Lemons are yellow and bigger in size compared to the smaller and green limes, and you can use either to prepare lemon water. In this article, we will tell you about the top 13 benefits of daily lemon water consumption, and why you should include it in your routine for good health.
1. Digestion: Lemon juice has a variety of Vitamins and minerals that are essential to maintain a healthy digestive system. When combined with warm water and consumed in the morning on an empty stomach, Lime water cleanses the whole digestive tract and maintain the long term health of your stomach and intestines. Lemon water is also proven to speed up the process of digestion and can prevent common digestive issues like belching, bloating etc. Lemon juice can also be consumed after dinner to balance out acidity and pH levels.
2. pH levels: The human body is built naturally to maintain a healthy pH balance, i.e. equal amounts of acids and base in the bloodstream. Due to unhealthy eating and lifestyle this level can be disturbed and cause a variety of health problems from indigestion to even cancer! The human body functions at its peak when there is proper pH balance, and any disruption can lead to gorginess, laziness and overall lack of energy. Drinking lemon water is a good way to restore the pH level in your body to normal levels.
3. Acid Reflux: If you take any antacid that is available in the market, they would surely have lemon as one of their contents. If you experience acidity and acid reflux after meals, then drinking lemon water could be the solution to your problem. Lemon water is also a powerful counter to heartburns, which often a direct fallout of acidity and acid reflux. Be sure to consume a glass of lemon water after a heavy meal.
4. Infections: Lemon has powerful anti-bacterial properties and consuming lemon water when you are affected by infections can lead to speedy recovery. Keep in mind that this is only for bacterial infections and also viral infections like common cough and cold. Lemon water is also useful in case of fungal infections of the skin.
5. Immune system: Lemon with its powerful antibacterial and antiviral properties also helps in strengthening the immune system which is a boon for maintaining long term health. They are also packed with powerful antioxidants which keep the immune system running at its peak.
6. Oral health: Ever seen those toothpastes which advertise lemon content in them? Lemon not only helps in getting the plaque accumulation on your teeth loose, it also helps maintain good overall oral health. Lemon water can also be consumed after dinner as it rinse the mouth, with its powerful anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Keep in mind that you have to consume lemon water in moderation as too much can have a negative impact on your gums. It also not advisable to consume lemon water right before you brush or floss.
7. Skin: As we have told you before that lemons are packed with powerful antioxidants and a host of vitamins and minerals. Vitamin C is found in abundance in lemons and is vital to keeping your skin healthy. Lemon water ensures that blood flow is maintained at healthy levels and vitamin C deficiency can make the skin look dull and anemic. Include lemon water in your daily routine if you want to have that healthy and glowing skin you have always coveted. Lemon water can also be directly applied to skin disorders like Acne and rashes for quick results.
8. Weight loss: Scientists have now backed that lemons can indeed aid in weight loss when combined with regular exercise and a good diet. Starting your day with a glass of lemon water kick starts your metabolism and digestive system, which in turn leads to more calories being burnt throughout the day. If you workout regularly, then you must definitely include lemon water in your diet for weight loss. While there are some studies which also suggest that lemon water has a great effect in cutting down belly fat. Belly fat can lead to a host of health problems arising out of obesity like Diabetes, Blood pressure etc.
9. Liver health: Lemon water is also proven to be beneficial for the human liver. If you are an alcohol drinker, make sure you drink a glass of lemon water the next day to flush out your liver and regularize its function in digesting alcohol. Lemon can also be consumed after binge drinking alcohol to avoid shock to the body and retain the essential minerals and salts. Lemons are also widely used in a variety of cocktails and to negate the effects of strong alcoholic drinks like tequila shots.
10. Hydration: Lemonades have long been a popular beverage during the summer months, around the world. Lemon helps keep your body hydrated and replenishes the essential salts and minerals that you loose due to sweating in excessive heat. If you reside in warm climatic conditions, it is essential for you to consume lemon water so that the body is not deprived of potassium, magnesium and other minerals that it requires. Just squeeze a lemon inside the bottle of water you carry to office or during your workout. Lemon water packs a host of essential electrolytes and minerals and are also used by professional sportsmen between their training sessions and games.
11. Lemon water and honey: Lemon water when mixed with honey, combines to give not only an extremely beneficial beverage, but also enhances the taste a few notches. To prepare this drink, simply take a glass of warm water and add 1 tablespoon of honey along with a freshly squeezed lemon. Lemon water and honey is proven by medical research in maintaining long term health of the digestive and circulatory systems as well as being a good aid in weight loss. The trend has now become the rage around the world, with people across cultures, making this drink a part of their daily routine. Consume this on an empty stomach for best results. The practice of consuming Lemon water with honey dates back to thousands of years in India and China. In India it has been mentioned in the ancient texts of Ayurveda as well as traditional Chinese medicine.
12. Natural Diuretic: Lemon water has been found to be a natural diuretic meaning, they increase the kidney function by purifying blood and leads to increase in urination. Lemon water helps in maintaining the health of your kidneys, and in turn the health of your blood. Lemon water is also advised to be consumed in case of urinary tract infections due to its antibacterial properties. If you are looking for a simple detox drink, then lemon water is no doubt the easiest to prepare and starts working immediately on your body reducing bloating and getting the blood to purify itself more frequently.
13. Heart and hair health: Potassium which is essential to maintaining cardiovascular health is found in good amounts in Lemon. Lemon also has anti inflammatory properties that maintains the regular functioning of all the organs of the body including heart, respiratory organs like lungs etc. Lemon is also found useful for hair as Vitamin C is important for healthy hair follicles and for common hair problems like dandruff, split ends and rough scalps. If you have chronic dandruff you should not only consume lemon water but also can apply it directly onto your hair and scalp before washing them.
We have told you briefly about the top 13 health benefits of lemons. Lemons apart from the physical effects, can also impact the mental health positively due to their aroma and the presence of high amounts of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is known to be a natural stress buster. Considering these reasons and many others, there is no reason for you to not make the easy to prepare drink i.e.; lemon water a part of your daily regimen. If you are not sure as to how to go about the practice of consuming lemon water due to your dietary, acid intolerance or other concerns, its best to consult a physician who will guide you as to their proper usage. We hope this article has been informative for you. To read more health fitness blog, visit Get health care Tips.